The overarching story of the Assassin's Creed series has a definite end, according to Ubisoft.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Assassin's Creed IV’s game director Ashraf Ismail said that Ubisoft had a team of writers and designers specifically concerned with the series' overall arc, and that it had ideas around how things would wrap up.

"We have an idea of where the end is, what the end is,” said Ismail.

“But of course Yves [Guillemot, Ubisoft's chairman and CEO] announced we are a yearly title, we ship one game a year.

“So depending on the setting, depending on what fans want, we've given ourselves room to fit more in this arc. But there is an end."

Having several Assassin’s Creed games in development at once allowed the developers to foreshadow things more effectively, added Ismail.

"We're now able to seed stuff earlier and earlier in our games," he said.

"So for example [in Assassin’s Creed IV] we have Edward who was seeded in ACIII. But there's a lot more stuff in our game that is hinting at other possibilities."

Despite this planning, gameplay cuts still took place, said Ismail.

"The biggest cut we made – which we were pushing hard for but we felt we couldn't achieve at a high enough quality – was multiplayer with naval [battles]," he said.

"We had really cool prototypes but to get it to work and to balance the systems – the balance of naval is tricky – to do that in multiplayer... we just couldn't do it in this iteration."

Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag is due out for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii U on October 31, and for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Windows PC in Q4 2013.