Grand Theft Auto V has scooped seven Guinness World Records including best-selling videogame in 24 hours, fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion, and highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours.
Developed by Rockstar North in Edinburgh, Scotland, Grand Theft Auto V sold 11.21 million copies in 24 hours, generating $815.7 million in revenue, and surpassing $1 billion within just three days of going on sale.
“GTA totally deserves to be recognised as an icon of modern British culture, and we're thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books,” said Guinness World Records editor-in-chief, Craig Glenday. “Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA V has proved, and how exciting that it's taken on the might of Hollywood and won! I'm also doubly proud as a Dundonian to welcome this home-grown series back into the Guinness World Records book.”
Full list of Grand Theft Auto V Guinness record-breaking achievements:
- Best-selling action-adventure videogame in 24 hours
- Best-selling videogame in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion
- Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame