A class action lawsuit accusing EA of misleading investors over Battlefield 4 has been dismissed by a federal judge in the US.

Last December, San Francisco law firm Robbins, Geller, Rudman, and Dowd filed a complaint against EA on behalf of anyone who bought EA stock between July 24 and December 4.

The suit claimed EA executives withheld information about pre-launch issues with Battlefield 4 from shareholders.

The game went on to have a disastrous launch, with players suffering through crashes and many other issues.

DICE announced in December that it would cease development on all future projects until it had fixed the game's problems – a process that took about three months and sent EA shares down 6 percent in a single day.

On Monday, US District Judge Susan Illston of San Francisco said EA had simply engaged in optimism.

"The Court agrees with defendants that all of the purported misstatements are inactionable statements of opinion, corporate optimism, or puffery," she ruled.

In one example, investors challenged a May 7, 2013 statement from EA president Frank Gibeau, , who said that EA was in a "much better state" for the next generation gaming-console transition.

Illston said Gibeau's words were "a non-actionable vague expression of corporate optimism and puffery upon which no reasonable investor would rely".

In June, EA CEO Andrew Wilson described the troubled launch of Battlefield 4 as "unacceptable".

"For me, the situation we had was unacceptable. For the team it was unacceptable," he said.

"We have worked tirelessly since then to make sure the gameplay experience got to where it absolutely should have been at launch and we're focused on that and we continue to deliver value to that player base."