Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn’s server issues are due to conservative estimates of the number of players it would attract, says director Naoki Yoshida.
Last week digital sales of the MMO were suspended in a bid to combat long login wait times.
Speaking with Polygon at PAX Prime, Yoshida said the expectation was that players would be cautious after the failure of the game's first iteration.
"Because of the rocky launch [of the 1.0 version] we were a little conservative in our estimates of what was going to happen with the second launch, because we thought people would be wary of that first launch and wait and see what the reaction was before coming in," Yoshida said.
"What actually happened was everyone decided to come and play at the beginning. That's why we've had our server problems and issues with logging in. The development team's been working on this for the past week 100 percent, and by Wednesday we hope to have servers implemented as well as several of those login issues relieved."
Regaining the community’s trust had been the biggest challenge, said Yoshida.
"It's what we've been concentrating on for the past two and a half years by showing them that yes, we're not only going to be remaking this game, but also continuing updates while remaking the game so you guys have something to do," he said.
This was only possible through an open and honest approach –something the "Square Enix of the past" wasn't very good at, said Yoshida.
"We wanted to be as open as possible with the players, because if you're open with the players, that's how you gain the trust and hide nothing," he said.
"Tell them no lies. Once you do it, you see the results."