Sacramento man Stephen Cebula has been indicted for threats made via Heroes of the Storm, says the Department of Justice.

Cebula, 28, was brought to Heroes publisher Blizzard's attention on July 3, when players reported him for making violent, sexual, and racist threats via in-game player chat.

Though he was quickly banned from chat, Cebula posted threats to Blizzard itself via Facebook, saying he would "pay [Blizzard] a visit with an AK47 amongst some other 'fun' tools."

He was arrested on July 12 and questioned by the FBI, whose case files state that he claimed he wanted to "scare those whom he had threatened" and that he "fantasised about oral sex and sexual intercourse with his five-year-old niece".

Prior to the incident, Cebula had been charged with threatening a member of his school's staff, and had told Sacramento deputies he wanted to kill someone in a local park.

Cebula is being held without bail until his July 26 plea, facing up to five years in jail and a $250,000 fine.