Call of Duty: Black Ops III was the best-selling physical release of 2015 in North America, says market research firm NPD.
That marks the seventh year in a row that Call of Duty has been the number one selling franchise in North America according to NPD, and the franchise has now surpassed 250 million sold worldwide.
1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
2. Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
3. Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
4. Star Wars: Battlefront (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One) 360, PS3, PC)
6. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
7. Minecraft (360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
8. FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
9. Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
10. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
Sales of physical copies of games were very similar to those of 2014, said the NPD, seeing a decrease of less than 1 per cent (and that includes PC games) to US$13.3b.
Accessory spending rose 12 percent on 2014’s figure, but console and portable sales were down four percent.
Meanwhile, after 26 months on the market, the combined cumulative sales of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are 47 percent higher than those of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 at the same time in their life cycle.
Sales of last-gen console games were down 47 percent on 2014’s figure.