Sony has today unveiled its next generation portable entertainment system, currently codenamed NGP.
The device comes with a five-inch capacitive multi-touch OLED (organic light emitting display) screen on the front and a multi-touch pad on the rear. It also comes with two analog sticks – a portable entertainment first allowing for more genres not yet seen in portable gaming – and four face buttons.
The system comes equipped with two cameras front and rear, as well as three motion sensors, a gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass, designed to add motion control.
NGP will also adopt a new gaming and software medium, a small flash memory card. Doing so will allow Sony to produce cards with greater capacity in the future and allow developers to producer larger games.
As you’d expect, the platform also comes with a full array of online and location-based services via 3G (on some models only), Wi-Fi and GPS. A pre-loaded application called Near will identify other nearby friends playing on the system, or what they’ve played recently.
LiveArea will give players access to the PlayStation Network where they’ll be able view the latest information about games developed for the platform.
Also announced today is PlayStation Suite, developed for Google’s Android platform. Suite will allow NGP users to play the thousands of games developed for Android.
The platform will be available in New Zealand at the end of this year.
NGP system specs:
- CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
- GPU: SGX543MP4+
- External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
- Screen (Touch screen): 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colours, OLED Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
- Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
- Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
- Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone
- Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
- Location: Built-in GPS, Wi-Fi location service support
- Keys / Switches: PS button, Power button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons (+/-)
- Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR （A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)