It's another week and a new Fortnite patch has arrived in the form of update 4.4, which adds the very unusual Stink Bomb item and more to the insanely popular Battle Royale mode. The patch is now live on PS4, Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch, and mobile.
The Stink Bomb is a new grenade type item that "creates a stinky cloud that deals five damage every half-second within the cloud" for a duration of nine seconds. You'll only find the Stink Bomb in Epic rarity chests, Vending Machines, and in floor loot so keep your eyes peeled for that telling golden glow while scavenging the map.
On top of the new item, Epic have also added a new limited-time mode, called "Final Fight: Teams of 20". This mode will see five teams of twenty players each drop into the map in a Final Fight variant of Battle Royale. In this mode the storm circle will stop closing after its third shift. After this a countdown will commence, and the team with the most players still standing at the end of the timer will take the win.
Fortnite has seen it's fair share of news this week with players up in arms about the lack of console cross-play available to players on PS4. This combined with Sony players not being able to transfer their account to any other console seems like a huge snafu and is sure to make new players apprehensive about committing to the PS4 version of the game.
For more from update 4.4, check out the full patch notes below via Epic Games
Fortnite Update 4.4 Patch Notes
- Fixed several issues with Discord integration and improved the information displayed when in a Battle Royale or Save the World game.
Limited Time Mode - Final Fight: Teams Of 20
Survive the countdown! The Storm Circles give players more room to hunt down opponents. The final circle triggers a countdown timer; when the time is up, the team with the most players remaining wins. In this LTM, teams can tie for the Victory Royale!
- Final Fight plays similar to standard Battle Royale, but instead of the Storm circles closing all the way, the Storm stops after the 3rd circle.
- When the circles have finished closing in, the final countdown timer will begin.
- The remaining teams will battle it out until the timer expires.
- The team with the most players remaining at the end of the timer wins!
- In the event of a tie, the two (or more) teams tied for the lead win the match.
Weapons And Items
Stink Bomb added.
- Creates a stinky cloud that deals 5 damage every half-second within the cloud.
- 9-second duration.
- Epic rarity.
- Can be found from floor loot, chests, and Vending Machines.
- Loot in stacks of 3 with a maximum stack of 5.
- Increased the reload time of the Rocket Launcher based on rarity.
- Rare from 2.3 seconds to 2.8.
- Epic from 2.185 seconds to 2.66.
- Legendary from 2.07 to 2.52.
- The maximum number of unloaded Rocket Ammo that can be held has been changed to 12.
- Enemy built structures are no longer lit up by the thermal scope.
- Cozy Campfires are now lit by the thermal scope.
- Back Bling no longer appears detached from players at a distance.
- Fixed the two intersecting busses on the starting island.
- Fixed performance issues on Switch related to frequently called time functions during gameplay (especially when skydiving).
- Level streaming optimization to smooth out some hitches during skydiving on Switch.
- The music for the Fresh emote has been re-added.
- Fixed attenuation of Supply Drop opening sound so it doesn't sound like it's right next to players even if it's opened far away.
- The Clinger explosion sound now plays properly if detonated directly next to you on iOS/Switch platforms.
- Added the "Net Debug Stats" HUD UI option for Xbox.
- Fixed a crash that could happen after buying items in the Item Shop.
- When using styleable outfits, your last saved version will always appear in the locker preview.
Save The World
Missions And Systems
- Fixed an issue which could block progression where the Chrome Husky would no longer spawn if the Magnets! quest was completed. Players who were blocked will now be unblocked with this fix.
- New Constructor Demolitionist: 8-Bit Demo added to the Event Store.
- Available Wednesday, June 20 at 5 PM PT / 8 PM ET (June 21 at 1 AM BST / 10 AM AET)