Here’s a roundup of today’s news found elsewhere on the internet:
EA lowers outlook, Star Wars: The Old Republic due in 2011? (GameSpot) - Much like it did in 2009, Electronic Arts began the New Year with some disappointing news. Today after trading ended on the New York markets, the publisher announced it was lowering its earnings estimates for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2010. The Redwood City, California-based company now expects net revenue between $3.6 billion and $3.675 billion for the year, down from the previously forecast range of $3.6 billion to $3.9 billion. It now anticipates per share losses between $1.94 and $2.24, up from a range of $1.20 to $2.05.
EA CEO John Riccitiello said EA's core strategy was sound and progress has been made on cutting costs, increasing profit, and bringing back the quality of owned game properties. However, he did concede that company management had "been surprised" by the impact of increased digital sales and the global recession.
Looking ahead, the executive called out five titles he expected to be major sellers in the current quarter: Army of Two: The 40th Day (January 12), Mass Effect 2 (January 26), Dante's Inferno (February 9), Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (March 2), and Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight (March 16).
Riccitiello also said that the company is planning to launch "our major new MMO"--presumably BioWare Austin's Star Wars: The Old Republic--in "spring 2011." It was unclear if he meant calendar year 2011, or EA's 2011 fiscal year, which ends on March 31, 2011.
Microsoft: "There's no need to launch a new console" (gamesindustry.biz) - A Microsoft senior director has reiterated his company's stance on a 360 successor, saying it has no need to launch a new console.
"I think it's important to say that the Xbox 360 is the console of the long future for us. There is no need to launch a new console, because we're able to give this console new life either with software upgrades or hardware upgrades like Project Natal," said David Hufford, senior director of Xbox product management, speaking to The Guardian at this year's Consumer Electronics Show.
"The Xbox 360 was designed for a long life," he added, "and I don't even know if we're at the midpoint yet."
In response to quizzing on a possible move to more modern chip technology, which would lower manufacturing costs of the console, Hufford said the company was currently content with its pricing.
"We love our prices right now," he said. "I don't want to say that technology stops, but we believe we have a high quality console, and we stand by that quality with an unprecedented warranty, so we think we're in a good place now heading into the Natal era."
Following the news last week of Sony's commitment to a dedicated 3D TV network and confirmation the PlayStation 3 was upgradable to 3D via a firmware update, Hufford also higlighted to Microsoft's own 3D efforts, saying the 360 didn't need an upgrade in order to support 3D games.
Lionhead showing Fable III next month (eurogamer) - Lionhead community manager Steve Van Tilburgh has promised the world its first Fable III sighting next month.
The company is making two new videos that will be released alongside an unspecified event for the game in San Francisco in February.
"I'm writing storyboard summaries for two new Fable 3 videos," Tweeted Tilburgh (picked up by VG247). "Videos are to come out when we show Fable 3 for the 1st time at an event next month in SF."
Fable III, announced at gamesom 2009, will be released this autumn. The 'big idea' is putting players on the throne of Albion and allowing them to shape a nation to fit their morals and beliefs.
Both Natal and micro-transactions will be supported, although in what form is both unknown and subject to change so far away from release.
Nintendo: Wii is most energy efficient console of its generation (gamesindustry.biz) - Nintendo has responded to a Greenpeace report published last week which named it as the most environmentally unfriendly electronics company in its annual survey.
The Greenpeace Guide to Greener Electronics scored Nintendo just 1.4 out of 10 for its chemical, e-waste and energy policies. However Nintendo has argued that it takes environmental responsibilities seriously, and pointed out the Wii is more energy efficient than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
"We would like to assure customers that we take our environmental responsibilities seriously and are rigorous in our commitment to comply with all relevant laws relating to environmental and product safety, including avoiding the use of dangerous substances in our manufacturing processes and ensuring the safe disposal and recycling of materials," Nintendo said in a statement made to Eurogamer.
"We consider the environmental impact of our products over their entire life cycle, from planning to disposal. In the planning phase, for example, we make every effort to design energy-efficient products and select materials for component parts and packaging materials with careful consideration for the environment. We also consider the importance of reducing environmental impact at end-of-life disposal by clearly indicating the materials used in each product to make recycling easier.
"We also work to eliminate harmful substances from our products right from the initial stages of material selection and have established strict environmental control standards, with our 340 production partners all co-operating with us in our efforts."
The Wii is "notably the most energy efficient [console] of its generation," said the company, adding that the DS design had been improved to minimise energy consumption.

Comments 25