The original PlayStation launched on December 3, 1994 in Japan – and it changed the shape of gaming forever.
Twenty years on, Sony has celebrated the occasion by creating a very limited run of special edition PlayStation 4 consoles styled using the Original Grey finish of the first PlayStation.
This very special console will not be available in stores. But Gameplanet has teamed up with PlayStation NZ to offer you the chance to win one!
The 20th Anniversary Edition PlayStation 4 includes a matching Original Grey DUALSHOCK 4 controller, PlayStation Camera and Vertical Stand. It also features the classic PlayStation "PS" logo, and is embossed with a 20th Anniversary two-circle-cross-square-triangle pattern. Each limited edition console is individually numbered.
Only 12,300 PlayStation 4 20th Anniversary Edition consoles will be made – the same number of units that were manufactured in the original PlayStation's first run.
HOW TO WIN
The year is 1994. You have brought the PlayStation 4 back in time with you, and must create a '90s-style advertisement or magazine cover for the new console.
This is an art competition. Using MS Paint, Photoshop, pencil and paper, or whatever tool you prefer, design your advertisement or magazine cover. Then share your picture by posting it in the comments below. Entries should be a static image in JPEG or PNG format.
You don't need to be a graphic design wizz to enter. For this competition, ideas are more important than artistic ability. Entries will be judged against the following criteria:
◆ Relevance to the brief
◆ Context – effective use of '90s design style, tropes or cultural references
◆ Humour or ingenuity
Gameplanet will select ten finalists from the first round of entries closing midday on Monday, 5th January, 2015. These finalists will then be presented for a round of public voting to determine the winners.
The first-place winner will receive a 20th Anniversary Edition PlayStation 4 console. Runner up prizes of PlayStation 4 games will be awarded to the second, third, and fourth placed entries.
Some things to think about :
◆ What was life like in 1994? (A world before the Internet!)
◆ What was popular in gaming at that time?
◆ What other gaming devices was the original PlayStation competing against?
◆ How would today's PlayStation 4 and all its features have been presented if it were released back then?
◆ What did videogame adverts or magazines look like in the '90s?
If you find any other great examples from the era, please share them in the comments below!
Competition Terms & Conditions
- Entries close midday Monday, 5th January, 2015.
- Thereafter, Gameplanet will select ten (10) finalists to proceed to a round of voting, to be conducted in January.
- The entry that receives the most valid votes after the voting round will be the winner of the PlayStation 4 20th Anniversary Edition console.
- The next three entries ordered by valid votes will be runner-up winners, earning second, third and fourth place. Each will receive a PlayStation 4 game from the selection: The Last of Us Remastered, DRIVECLUB, and LittleBigPlanet3. The second place winner will get first choice of game, the third place winner will get second choice, and the fourth place winner will get the last game.
- You must be a New Zealand resident to enter the competition.
- You must be age 16 or over to enter the competition.
- Entrants may be disqualified from the competition at Gameplanet's sole discretion.
- Prizes not claimed after 7 days may be forfeited.
- Employees of Gameplanet (NZ) Ltd or their suppliers are not eligible to enter.
- Prizes are not transferable. No correspondence will be entered into.