We had an inkling that February was busier than normal, but figures just released from the US shows them 47% ahead of the same time last year with games sales of USD 668.7 million.
Hardware sales also increased 19 per cent to USD 480 million. No surprises however that Nintendo have totally dominated the market, with 587,600 DS units sold, and 432,000 Wii's. The PlayStation 2 is next, with a total of 351,800.
The PlayStation 3 outsold the Xbox 360 for the second month running - 280,800 vs. 254,600. Microsoft remained upbeat however, blaming the loss to supply issues rather than consumer trends. The PSP managed to rack up 243,100 units sold, an impressive total for Sony's handheld platform.
The top ten best-selling games in the US for the month of February and the units sold were:
1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (360) 296,200
2. Devil May Cry 4 (360) 295,200
3. Wii Play w/remote (Wii) 289,700
4. Devil May Cry 4 (PS3) 233,500
5. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Wii) 222,900
6. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (DS) 205,600
7. Lost Odyssey (360) 203,600
8. Turok (360) 197,700
9. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (PS2) 183,800
10. Rock Band (360) 161,800